Research underpinning Transform-Us!
Transform-Us! is a simple and easy program that can improve children’s classroom behaviours and their health.
Transform-Us! was developed by an international team of researchers led by Professor Jo Salmon at the Institute for Physical Activity and Nutrition (IPAN), Deakin University.1
- It was trialled in 20 Primary schools across Melbourne
- Schools and teachers delivered the program for a 2.5 year period (2010-2012)
- Teachers integrated movement into their class lessons and homework activities and promoted physical activity at recess and lunchtimes
- Over 220 teachers and 1600 students in Grade 3 took part (students were in Grade 5 at the end of the study).
- 595 students enrolled in the assessments to determine changes in physical activity, sedentary (sitting) time and a variety of health markers (including height, weight, waist circumference, blood pressure and blood biomarkers).
The final results were very positive. Compared to a comparison group, students who participated in Transform-Us! had: